nafex - [NAFEX] blueberries for neutral soil

  • From: Louisa Rogoff Thompson <louisathompson@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] blueberries for neutral soil
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:33:52 -0500

Jim,

I believe all blueberries require very acidic soil, but some of their close cousins, the huckleberries (Gaylussacia spp.) do not.  Around here, black huckleberry (Gaylussacia baccata) grows along with blueberries in extremely acidic soil, but also grows in neutral soil if some other factor limits competition, and produces small but sweet berries.  This particular plant is a very low shrubby groundcover, about 6-12" tall and woody.  It's quite attractive, with silver-grey woody stems and exceptional fall foliage.   I believe it is found as far north as Newfoundland and Saskatchewan.  Also dangleberry, Gaylussacia frondosa, a much taller shrub (6-7'), has sweet, juicy fruit and grows as far north as southern New Hampshire.  I don't know if any true huckleberries (as opposed to Solanum spp.) are available from fruit nurseries.  If not, you could try native plant nurseries.

Louisa Thompson
Columbia, MD
Zone 7a

Message: 5