nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blueberries for neutral soil

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blueberries for neutral soil
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:20:01 -0500

I actually had a tree of Vaccinium arboreum, so called "farkleberry" of the South, sent to me by a southern nursery.  It didn't make it, but that was probably coincidental.

It's called "Arboreum" because it can get to be a small tree.  I still think it should be tried.  I know there are NAFEX members who graft blueberries, but they are apparantly not on this list.

Incidentally, Ginda was talking about "Tophat" short blueberry variety and I mentioned my growing "Ornablue" and my question about the small-berried-short blueberry plants is although the berries may taste good, how does it become worth picking them because you don't get much for the time.   So, I wonder what about using blueberry rakes, which they use in Maine?  Then the short blueberries may well be worth growing...they grow well, but don't pick efficiently by hand.

Well, here's some photos:
 photo gallery maine blueberry harvest

But here's a photo I think is great of an actual blueberry rake:
 blueberry rake

Anybody used a blueberry rake?

Charlie Paradise
massachusetts  with acid soil