nafex - [NAFEX] Blueberries

  • From: David Consolvo <fruitopia@nexet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blueberries
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:52:52 -0500

Shifting the recent blueberry thread, I have a few observations:

Rabbiteye-type blueberries have done best for me, producing reliably every
year large quantities of berries from July to September. There is no
disease, and even the birds are not a problem! My varieties are:

CHOICE - the latest ripening, the best tasting, and the largest berries of
my three. A lighter blue color than most blueberries. Ripens over a two
month period or longer!

CLIMAX - the earliest ripening, decent all-round

WOODARD - smaller and not as tasty as the other two

HOWEVER, I wish I could grow the Northern highbush types!! Many people in
my area are able to grow them, but they do not thrive on my land. The one
plant I have which has survived, as well as those of neighbors, produce
larger and much more flavorful berries than the Rabbiteyes! Plus they ripen
two to three weeks earlier. They produce bountifully, but all the berries
ripen very quickly, so harvest time is short.

Conditions here are a sandy loam soil in humid central Virginia at 1,200
feet. pH is normally about in upper 5's. I add lots of pine needles as a
mulch every year, and a tad of fertilizer occassionally. I thought pine
needles would lower the pH, although I remember the thread which debated if
that's true.

David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia