nafex - [NAFEX] Was: Powdery Mildew control; Now: Solarization

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Was: Powdery Mildew control; Now: Solarization
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:10:58 -0600

I've used solarization to eliminate many soil-born diseases, especially early blight. Solarized soil produces crops that have few problems. Supposedly, the USDA has pushed solarization as a replacement for soil fumigants that are being outlawed for strawberry producers. I produce gorgeous disease-free berries on solarized ground. Never have a problem or apply anything.

A couple of things from experience about solarizing ground. First, make sure the soil in the top six inches is really moist. Second, use timbers, weights or anything heavy to seal the plastic. The more airtight you make it, the faster the soil steams. Third, get a soil thermometer; don't try to guess at temperatures.

Solarization cleaned up problem ground for me so that I could plant peach trees in a hot climate where blights and other fungal diseases are huge problems with peaches. My trees and fruit were disease-free with only a late winter dormant oil spray and three applications of neem seed oil spray at bud break, blossom fall and three weeks later.
Doreen Howard