nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Powdery Mildew control

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Powdery Mildew control
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 19:20:09 -0600

Ginda wrote:
I have read that exposing the baby plants to a breeze (such as from an electric fan, or a real outdoor breeze) helps. Something about triggering the plants to grow more strongly, rather than directly influencing the pathogen. I haven't tried it.

I routinely use a fan when starting seeds under lights to avoid damping off. The air motion triggers a hormone in seedlings that thickens their stem, too, resulting in stockier plants.
Doreen Howard