nafex - RE: [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:20:32 -0800

We used to always have about 3 deer at a time: Frank Buck, Jane Doe, and
John Deer, we called them... I had a deer fence around the
fruit/veg/ornamental garden. The trees outside were tall enough that most
fruit wasn't bothered, and grapes were trellised atop the deer fence.

Another thing I did was plant a lot of sweet clover outside of the garden
gate. Times it was open - which was a lot - the deer would approach and be
sidetracked by the delicious clover. Sometimes deer and I would be inside
the garden together, but, for the most part, there was plenty for everyone -
except the strawberries, but those were under netting, lest the Blue Jays
pick them clean. I do think that filling up on clover kept the deer from
being too destructive. I could have had tighter security, but I did like it
when a deer would be across the row from me, barely screened by the corn.

I agree with other posts, that persimmon seemed safe, and they didn't eat
the blueberries; but I think those may have ripened each year before they
regarded the whole garden as a target of rich opportunity.

~ Stephen
(That garden was Z7)