nafex - [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?

  • From: "Diane Porter" <dporter@lisco.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:22:28 -0600

Now that I have the chance to plant an orchard on a sunny south slope in SE Iowa, I need to know if any of the plants and trees I'm starting won't be eaten by deer. Deer are abundant here, so if they like it, they will eat it.

I know only too well that deer like dwarf apple trees. They came right into town at my old house to munch the bark, leaves, and fruit. But they never seemed to bother my pear or potted fig trees. Now, however, where the deer density is much greater and where there are fewer neighboring gardens competing for the patronage of deer, maybe that will change.

What comes to mind at the moment includes paw paw, American persimmon, plums, apricots, peaches, sweet cherries, serviceberries, kiwi, grapes, raspberries, and blueberries. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things, but it's a start.

Can any of these be grown outside the deer fence?

Thanks,

Diane Porter, Fairfield, Iowa