nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:37:36 -0500

On Jan 15, 2005, at 3:22 PM, Diane Porter wrote:
. . .
What comes to mind at the moment includes paw paw, American persimmon, plums, apricots, peaches, sweet cherries, serviceberries, kiwi, grapes, raspberries, and blueberries. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things, but it's a start.

Can any of these be grown outside the deer fence?

Thanks,

Diane Porter, Fairfield, Iowa

I have very mild deer pressure. They eat my apples. They haven't yet eaten any twigs from the apricot, but they ate some leaves. They haven't eaten my lowbush blueberries. They haven't eaten my grapes, but they eat my uncle's grapes. (He has hungrier deer.) They haven't eaten my raspberries, but the squirrels have damaged the canes more than I would have expected.

Ginda