nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What fruit trees won't the deer eat?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:02:49 -0800

What comes to mind at the moment includes paw paw, American persimmon, plums, apricots, peaches, sweet cherries, serviceberries, kiwi, grapes, raspberries, and blueberries. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things, but it's a start.

Can any of these be grown outside the deer fence?

Anything that can grow high enough to be outside a comfortable reach for the deer can go outside your fence, though they will need to be protected till they get tall enough.

Deer will take advantage of any way of getting up to their favourites: here that is sweet cherry leaves, and they jump up on a picnic table under one of my trees to reach higher branches.

Here, they like cherries, pears, apples (in order of preference), but plums don't seem to be liked as much.
Don't touch blackberries and various hybrid blackberries
I haven't noticed blueberries or raspberries being eaten, well, I have had a deer nibbling raspberries while I was picking them on the other side of the row, but raspberries are so prolific, it doesn't make any difference.

Kiwis and grapes I have growing up into trees, so they're out of reach.

--
Diane Whitehead Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8