nafex - Re: [NAFEX] indoor citrus

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] indoor citrus
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:56:49 -0500

Hi,

I germinated a clemintine seed a couple of years ago. It grows very slowly in a terra cotta pot. It is only about 8" tall after 2 years. Spends the entire summer outside in the full sun, and the winter in a sunny window.

I do not think it will ever bear fruit. Do they allow clemintines in the US?

About the size of a tangerine, easy to peal, and about 1 in 10 will have a seed or two in it. Very sweet eating too.

I guess they are a finicky fruit trees, and are economical to grow in Spain which has the climate they need.

http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC030278/clemintine.html

It fuels my fruit experimenting during the winter. I just put the seed in a baggie with a damp paper towel and put it atop the fridge. When a root appeared, I planted it in soil.

But as I said, I never expect fruit.

Later,
Tom