nafex - [NAFEX] Re: local persimmon tree

  • From: bill dality <namtoo@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: local persimmon tree
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:33:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
  Both virginiana and kaki can develope seedless fruit in the absence of a pollinator. The best criteria by wch to distinguish the two is by the size and taste of the fruit.
Virginiana fruit is usually less than two inches in diameter, whereas kaki fruit such as the Fuyu variety is usually much larger --most often closer to 3 inches in diameter.
 Oriental(kaki) persimmons are very mild tasting compared with virginiana fruit wch has a stronger, richer flavour.
What was the diameter of the fruit on your "neighborhood" tree ,and how does it compare in size to the fruit on the Vancouver tree and to store-bought Fuyu?

derry&bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca> wrote:
I'm suddenly paying attention to the persimmon posts. I didn't think persimmon
grew here until a saw a tree laden with big orange fruit a couple of weeks ago.
The owner thinks it is a D virginiana, but she doesn't know the variety name. She
doesn't know of another persimmon in the neighbourhood. I only know of one other
persimmon in Vancouver, but there probably are more. I had just never seen one
before.

I thought it might be interesting to grow seedlings and graft the variety on to
seedlings.

I brought home a couple of fruits and thought they tasted quite good, sweet with
no astringency, but they had no seeds!

Are the seeds microscopic? What size and colour are they? Is there a seedless
variety?

I saw some in the supermarket today and they looked just like my friend's
persimmon and they were labelled 'Fuyu'. They were $3 Cdn each.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase
wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada