nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmon seeds

  • From: "Bob Kelly" <bkelly66@bellsouth.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmon seeds
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:55:31 -0600

The native persimmon D. virginiana should do well there. Reportedly hardy to -20 or 25 F (-30 C). They are common in the wild here as I understand they are over a good area of the lower US. I never thought to describe it as Tomato-like, though some kakis would fit the description fairly well.

The D. virginiana is much smaller than the kaki; always astringent till soft ripe; but sweeter also . Many of the popular kakis such as Fuyu and Jiro are non astringent.

In driving through the countryside here this time of year, it's fairly common to see the native trees loaded with the orange fruit.

Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "derry&bill" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>