nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmon seeds

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrtejas@lycos.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmon seeds
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:02:23 -0600

If your fruit was an oriental persimmon and it had no seeds it means no male
flowers were around.
I have a dozen or so oriental persimmons and had a branch of chocolate
persimmon that has male
flowers. This resulted in all my persimmons having abundant seeds. I have
since cut off that limb.
The seeds are about the size of watermelon seeds. You would want the
rootstock to be D virginiana.
Those fruit are very much smaller than any oriental persimmon. Without male
flowers, oriental persimmons have
no seeds.
phil