nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Online Pomona

  • From: Claude Sweet <hortventures@cox.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Online Pomona
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:24:52 -0700

Can we all agree that the multiple volunteers of NAFEX and other horticultural groups subsidize the cost of membership by contributing their labor and frequently make other donations too.

Lets just say that the cost of membership is a base fee of $12.00 per year and the expense of printing and distributing the publications is an extra fee that is determine by the number of people selecting that option and the actual cost associated with that delivery form. Another option might be a CD including all 4 issues at the end of each year. My guess is that until a volume of 500+ plus CDs, the cost would be about the same as small press runs.
Has anyone considered using Xerox Docucomp printers that combine high quality output and reasonable costs per copy for regular 8x10 magazine formats with a finished collated, stapled booklet with a heavier paper stock used for the cover. There is no real minimum as they charge a setup fee and a fixed price per copy. No need to over print and worry about storing extra copies. I believe the cost of regular printing is more expensive until 1000 copies for B&W camera ready copy provided on a ZIP disk.

The electronic delivery of the publications would be included in the basis membership. Anyone who reads the publications on line or downloads them to be printed is paying to do so and the actual cost will vary according to the computer power, connection speed (cable modem or dialup), and the printing expense (B&W or color inkjet, B&W or color laser printer).

Providing options is the solution to our financial problems.

Promoting membership can be easily accomplished by a small trial fee of $4 per viewing of any online issue. Using PayPal is an excellent method of accepting payment.

If this effort is successful, I would suggest tapping into the international interest in fruit growing by changing the organization's name to Fruit Explorers while retaining POMONA as the name of the journal with monthly publishing dates and possibly having editors from around the world who specialize in various types of fruits. The possibilities are priceless, the benefits incalculable.

Claude Sweet