nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grape Harvester

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grape Harvester
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 14:08:17 -0400

Hi Lon,

The one thing that was stressed was the timing of the harvest.  Possibly the removal of nets would just cost time and would be deferred.  I really do not know, but I am pretty sure this fellow does not remove netting till after the harvest.

Later,
Tom

Lon J. Rombough wrote:
If that's true, it's something new to me.  The harvesters I'm familiar with would quickly tangle up in netting.   I don't see a lot of advantage to such a system, since the netting has to come off anyway, and the labor to remove it before harvest would be the same as after harvest.   For that matter, the photo on the site you sent doesn't show any netting, and the harvester is the type I'm familiar with.

During my visit to Vineland in Niagara, I was under the impression that harvesting machines literally knock the grape crop off the vine and the grapes fall through the bird netting.

Grape Harvester:
http://www.lodinews.com/visitors2003/art/harvest.jpg

I have seen the machinery, but not in use.  As it was explained to me by the vineyard owner. the harvester straddles the row of grapes, knocks the berries from their clusters, and the berries are collected and moved on conveyor belts.

He made special note to indicate that the netting over the berries is specially sized so that the grapes can be harvested (they fell through the netting) with the harvester, but birds could not get to the crop.

Possibly it is dicarded after harvest.

Later,
Tom

Please do not send binary files.