nafex - RE: [NAFEX] using old scionwood

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] using old scionwood
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:52:27 -0700

Here is an update on my attempt to use scionwood left over from Spring
2003 for the Spring 2004 grafting season....

I last reported that the grafts done in April were showing signs of
life. One of the grafts pushed through the parafilm about 1/2 inch. It
then stopped growing and shriveled up. I thoroughly wrapped the graft
and scionwood in parafilm, but this old wood was drying out faster than
the rootstock could supply it with fluids. Maybe someone with more
experience in grafting could have made these grafts survive, but all of
my attempts with this old wood have died in the past 2 months. Maybe I
will attempt using the last of this old wood again, and try some
additional measures to prevent the scionwood from drying out.

Some good news to report... This is the first year I have wrapped the
whole scionwood section and graft union with parafilm, and close to 100%
of my apple grafts with fresh scionwood are successful.

-Mark Lee, Seattle

  • RE: [NAFEX] using old scionwood, Mark Lee, 06/07/2004