nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry cages

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry cages
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 08:08:19 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry cages
At the other end of the scale, there is bird netting that is made to last only a few weeks.  Designed for vineyards, you could also put it up on a frame to protect your berries.  In the vineyard, it is simply torn off at harvest time and collected for recycling.  You would have to put it up on the blueberries every year, but it's cheap.  I do something like that on my blueberries and it's not too hard to handle.  The frame is wood and designed so I just set a roll of netting on top and unroll it, then staple it in place with a staple gun.
-Lon Rombough

I went to heavy duty 3/4 inch mesh nylon golf net in frustration after local
birds went through lightweight stuff sold from the garden center. Very
pricey stuff, but it's doing the job so far, knock on wood, and I'm hoping
it'll last for a long time. Look up Gourock Net on Google.

--Pete Tallman, Colorado, zone 5