nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wax temperature

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrtejas@lycos.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wax temperature
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:04:21 -0600

The melting point of parafin wax commonly used to seal jelly jars is 128F.
The wax used on high quality freezer boxes melts at 140F. The brownish
sticky wax on banana boxes is microwax that melts at 160F. I don't know what
grafting wax is but think it's probably got microwax in it since it is brown.
Your 170 seems to make sense to me.

I work in a refinery that makes many grades of wax.