nafex - Re: [NAFEX] alternative graft sealant

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <BNikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] alternative graft sealant
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:00:22 -0800

My Dad is born in the Ukraine and my Mom in Poland. Both lived on small
farms and everyone had an orchard to survive as well as a few chickens,
pigs, cows, sheep, etc. Dad, now in his mid 70s, remembers his Dad (my
Grandfather) grafting every spring, and with good success. They had no
money or wax, so all he did was wrap the scions after grafting with an old
strip of rag. This was similar to using budding rubbers or parafilm today.
The next step was coating the graft with plain ordinary mud. This mud would
form a sort of cast. When the mud dried every few days, they just added
water to keep the mud moist. You can't get more basic than that, and it
worked just fine for them. Gramps had no trouble getting his grafts to take
with this system.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta
where today is the first day our average daily high temperature hits 0C or
32F! Spring is on the way