nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wax temperature

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wax temperature
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:11:09 -0500

"Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" wrote:

I do 99% of my grafting on-site.  I'd have to string together ten or twelve 100
ft extension cords to get a heated wax pot to my nursery beds or the trees at the
far side of the orchard or on the other side of the pond, not to mention the CRP
bufferstrip where most of the nut trees are - it's only 100 ft wide, but close to
a mile long.  Parafilm is the only viable choice for me, though the Doc Farwell's
grafting sealant others use would probably be serviceable.

Hi,

When I was a boy in the 60's I remember an old woman in North Andover, Mass who lived on the Smolack farm.  I can remember her chip budding roses along their long laneway.  She used wax to seal the chip buds when she was done.  She carried a small double boiler of sorts that had a small flame under the wax to keep it soft.

Wish I paid more attention to what she was doing.

I only use wax as someone gave me some grafting wax, and I am just using it up.

Later,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio