nafex - [NAFEX] Tomato on horseweed, common names, firemaking, etc.

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tomato on horseweed, common names, firemaking, etc.
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:23:30 -0600

Jerry, you're right about common names - in this discussion, we've had
participants
weigh in with at least 4 VERY different plants, all from different genera
&families,
that, in their own little corner of the world, may be referred to as
horseweed,
horsetail, etc. This whole discussion has certainly piqued my interest,
regarding
what your friend used as a rootstock for tomato - I'm still holding out for
one
of the wild, native nightshade(Solanum) species, though I've got my doubts
about
horse nettle (S.carolinense) producing a strong enough stem to support a
vigorous
tomato, as it's typically a low-growing, sprawling weed in my pastures.
Incidentally,
and I don't know if this was another source of common name confusion, horse
nettle
is very different from stinging nettle. I've had encounters with both, and
while
neither is a welcome experience, I'd prefer the prickles of horse nettle over
the
intense burning sensation of stinging nettle any day of the week. Art talked
about
the dried horseweed stalks making great 'spears' for chucking by kids. The
dried
stalks of horseweed/mare's tail (Conyza- I've forgotten if that is the
correct genus
name, already) can be utilized, with a bow and suitable soft wood such as
western
cedar, and a little bit of pinestraw or shredded redcedar bark, for starting
fires
by the friction method, if one happens to be caught out without matches, or
if you're
just 'into' primitive technologies like firemaking &flintknapping. Lucky
Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY