nafex - [NAFEX] Need info on CAR resistant apples

  • From: Uwillard@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Need info on CAR resistant apples
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:40:16 EST

I am planting a new orchard in an area with several cedar trees nearby. Removal is not an option, so I am choosing varieties known to be resistant to CAR. Besides the obvious, disease resistant cultivars (Liberty, Enterprise, etc.) I would like to plant some heirlooms and other special varieties, but am finding conflicting info on their disease resistance.

I would really appreciate hearing from folks in CAR areas, about what cultivars work for them. A few I am specifically wondering about are Hidden Rose or Pink Pearl, Pink Lady, Ashmead Kernal, Tydeman's Late Orange, Summer Rambo. We live in East Tennessee at about 1400 ft elevation, lots of rain, hot with long growing season but summer nights are cool. Fireblight is also an issue.

Thank you!

Uma Willard