nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Need info on CAR resistant apples

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas@tbeckett.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Need info on CAR resistant apples
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:19:56 -0500

Uwillard@aol.com wrote:
I would really appreciate hearing from folks in CAR areas, about what cultivars work for them. A few I am specifically wondering about are Hidden Rose or Pink Pearl, Pink Lady, Ashmead Kernal, Tydeman's Late Orange, Summer Rambo. We live in East Tennessee at about 1400 ft elevation, lots of rain, hot with long growing season but summer nights are cool. Fireblight is also an issue.

In /Old Southern Apples/, Lee Calhoun reports that the Roxbury Russet "was perhaps the most widely grown russet in the South." More importantly, he states that it "bears heavily annually and is healthy and resistant to several apple diseases, including cedar-apple rust and scab."

HTH

Thomas Beckett
Durham/Hendersonville
North Carolina