nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: Orchard Dogs

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: Orchard Dogs
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 00:36:33 -0700

> Any opinions regarding snakes? How about providing suitable
> overwintering structures? I think Corn snakes, Rat snakes and Blue
> Racers are pretty cool. I'll take a pass on pit vipers, though.

It's pretty tacky looking, but snakes love black plastic. The only thing
better is black plastic over a compost heap.
For overwintering? Dry stone walls, and trenches filled with woody debris.
Here in W. Oregon the top two snakes to have would be gopher snakes and
rubber boas; the garter snakes and little sharp-tailed snakes eat slugs, so
they're good garden snakes.

-Rick