nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RE: Orchard Dogs

  • From: RW Spalinger <rwspal@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RE: Orchard Dogs
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:05:30 -0600

On Feb 4, 2004, at 12:44 PM, Rick Valley wrote:

Subject: [NAFEX] RE: Orchard Dogs

So, a question I have to the group is: What type of dog is a good
orchard
dog?

I once met a Schipperke, a small dog origionally kept on working canal
barges in Belgium, which kept 5 acres gopher-free...

I for one would be very interested in how people are keeping gophers at bay. On my place, gophers are about to outnumber the fire ants, and that's saying something. I'm trying to eradicate/repel gophers with organic techniques. So far I haven't used biological controls, such as a dog, as mentioned in the posts.

Gophers have killed a five year old oak tree, and stunt the growth of some fruit trees by gnawing the roots. Water just goes down gopher tunnels rather than diffusing through soil to roots. I don't even want to get into what's going on in the garden. We've learned that gophers just love peanut plants.

Anyone interested in a gopher thread?

Randall Spalinger