nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting-where did I go wrong

  • From: "Kieran and Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting-where did I go wrong
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:12:22 -0600

I would also suspect the gunk you used, but I was not impressed with your
description of your rootstocks.
"an attempt to "top work" an
> ancient boundary row apple on growth perhaps an inch in diameter"

Unless you go for branches that are strong growing and get a good contact
and quick callus and chop off stronger branches, the tree may ignore your
graft and choose to grow some other branches.
'a number of whip-and-tongue ones on a lackluster red delicious"
If lackluster refers to it's growth rate, it may not have been vigorous to
give a good take.

I myself used to get about 10% takes till T.O. Warren wrote a great article
on why grafts fail or succeed. I realized that my girlish attempts to
whittle were not particularly at fault, instead the blame lay in my
rootstocks which were often in poor condition (drought conditions 2 springs,
attempts at bench grafting another time, and one time some plums that had
dried out without my realizing it ). Nowadays I want my rootstocks in the
ground and growing, and I tend to do bark brafts, chip budding, or even wait
to do splice grafts till the rootstock is actively growing. I get pretty
decent takes these days, with topworking being the situations where I most
often fail. Donna