nafex - [NAFEX] wolfberry - Lycium

  • From: "Kieran and Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] wolfberry - Lycium
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:30:14 -0600

I have been trying to grow Lycium for years. The seeds that come in the
dried fruit sold in oriental groceries are quite viable. I get them up,
then we have rainy weather and they die. Once I managed to get them up to
maybe 2" and transplanted, and then they died. I ordered a plant and put it
down by the creek in an area that promptly grew up in brush and shaded it,
but the thing leafed out spring after spring, only to vanish late in each
season. I finally dug it up one winter, it came out in the spring and then
died. I read they are naturalized in parts of VA. I can only assume they
either don't like clay, or acid soil, or poor drainage, or maybe since they
are in the tomato family, maybe they are susceptible to some kind of tomato
disease in my garden soil.
As for the berries, I have eaten only the dried ones, which I like very
much. They are kind of a mix of dried tomato and fruit flavor. The seeds
are said to concentrate germanium. The berries soaked in wine are
considered to keep women young and beautiful. Frankly, I could really use a
steady supply!!! Donna

  • [NAFEX] wolfberry - Lycium, Kieran and Donna, 01/30/2004