nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting-where did I go wrong

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrtejas@lycos.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting-where did I go wrong
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:30:41 -0600

I would say forget the wax and paint. In my experience they are not
necessary.

I haven't grafted apples but have grafted pears which are just as easy.
Apples don't do well in my area near Houston, TX. Get some vinyl grafting
tape($1.50 a roll) and parafilm($3 a roll).

Get dormant scions and store in the refrigerator in damp paper towels in a
zip lock bag. Graft when buds start to push.

On pears I have never had a graft fail, t-bud, cleft, whip, or whip/tongue,
even on my first attempt. Wrap the graft with the vinyl tape and the scion
with the parafilm to prevent it drying out. I completely cover the t-buds
with the vinyl tape. Leave the graft wrapped for 6 weeks and then cut the
vinyl tape while leaving the parafilm on as the buds will break through
parafilm. Some of my grafts were pushing leaves after only a week. Even
better would be to find someone who can show you personally how to do it. I
haven't attempted grafting without this step.

http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsauber/PearGrafting.htm