nafex - Re: [NAFEX] School Project

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] School Project
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:59:26 -0800

The After-Dinner Gardening Book by Richard W. Langer is good. The 5th printing was in 1974. I picked up my paperback copy in a used book store for 75 cents. Look for the bright yellow cover.

Useful tips like squeezing papaya seeds so they pop out of their enveloping arils. They won't germinate if the aril remains on. (I tried this. It works.)

Langer lived in an apartment in New York. The plants he wrote about, all from personal experience, are:

avocado, banana, citrus, coconut, date, grape, Jerusalem artichoke, kiwi (called by its earlier name, Chinese gooseberry), litchi, loquat, mango, papaya, pineapple, pomegranate, prickly pear, quenepa ( aka mamoncillo), sugar cane, sunflower, sweet potato.

Diane Whitehead