nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Re: agrigel

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Re: agrigel
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:27:02 -0800

The corn based product is called Driwater. Unlike Agri-Gel and other
polyacrylamide based products, starch based polymers are designed to release
water as they are degraded by soil bateria. They are purchased with all the
water capacity they will have. The polymer gels in contrast last for years
and function more like a sponge. There is a quart sized container of
Driwater that will release water over 90 days. One quart doesn't seem like
much water, but the government in Egypt is using Driwater to establish trees
in the desert. Over million trees have been planted in the Sahara Desert
thanks to this technology.
http://www.uswaternews.com/archives/arcglobal/8dripla9.html
Last summer my Seattle garden was like a desert. Driwater seems promising
for getting my trees through the summer.
-Mark Lee, Seattle zone 7B/8A