nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mango / poison ivy

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mango / poison ivy
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:44:49 -0500

Hi,

Found my own answer to the mango/poison ivy question;

"Poison Ivy is a versatile plant, and usually grows as a vine on trees, rock
walls, or buildings.
If there is no such support nearby, poison ivy will grow as a small bush or
shrub. Poison ivy has a
number of relatives which can cause an identical rash on sensitive persons.
This group includes
poison oak, poison sumac, the cashew tree, the mango (mango fruit, not the
green pepper), and the
fruit of the Ginkgo tree."

According the the New England Journal of Medicine it is the rind of the mango
fruit that can cause
the rash.

Tom