nafex - [NAFEX] Apple grinders, gas motors, bad idea

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple grinders, gas motors, bad idea
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:04:11 -0500

Finally I will add that both Don and I will loose the competition against
my neighbour who bought last year a 700$ (CDN) italian grinder - a
marvelous machine that runs on 20 Amp 240V (I forget how many HPs, but this
is NOT a washing machine motor)

That would be 5 or 6 horsepower (Amps*volts/726...see how intuitive and natural the "English" system is?)

As a side note:
You might be thinking, "Hey, I have an old rototiller motor that is 5 horse. I could make a grinder to compete with Claude's neighbor." Just as a general rule of thumb, you would need a gas motor that is two or three times larger than the electric motor, and you would need a clutch and probably a flywheel. It is not that a different horsepower is used for gas motors....although that was true in the 1960s.

The issue is that the power produced by an electric motor resembles a table top...pretty flat through the rpm range. In fact the torque, the twisting force, goes up as the speed goes down. It is as if the motor grows under the load. It is difficult, but not impossible, to stall out an electic motor.

Gas motors, on the other hand, have a power curve that looks like the capital letter A. Peak power occurs in a very small speed band. Add enough load so that the motor drops out of that band and the gas motor will stall out in a heartbeat. Then you get to restart the beast.

--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal website: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel