nafex - [NAFEX] Blackberries in Northern Minnesota

  • From: ernestplutko@netscape.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blackberries in Northern Minnesota
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:29:45 -0500

Has anyone had any success growing blackberries in zone 3?  I found
blackberries growing on a vacant lot in Little Canada, Minnesota which is a
little north of St. Paul, Minnesota.  This is zone 4. This lot used to be
part of an old farm.  The black berries had thick, strongly thorned canes
which which grew to about nine feet long.  The berries were of a good size
with a good flavor.  The blackberries were probably a tame variety from the
previous farm.  For three years in a row, I took some of the blackberry
plants three hundred miles north to my garden in zone 3.  The blackberries
grew well during the summers but all died over the winters.  I found wild
blackberries growing near Brainerd, Minnesota which is in zone 3.  These wild
blackberries plants are small, the berries are small and of poor quality.
Not worth growing.  Has anyone grown Doyle Thornless Blackberries advertised
on the Internet?  Supposedly, this blackberry grows in all states if you
cover the canes with soil during the winter if it get below zero.  $15.00 a
plant!  I really like to eat blackberries and would like to grow them.  I
originally came from Pennsylvania and blackberries were a weed.  No trouble
growing them near Pittsburgh.    Ernie Plutko zone 3

New! Unlimited Access from the Netscape Internet Service.
Beta test the new Netscape Internet Service for only $1.00 per month until
3/1/04.
Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.