nafex - Re: [NAFEX] winter apple still ripening on tree?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] winter apple still ripening on tree?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:34:41 -0500

Diane Whitehead wrote:

Granny Smith is my latest apple, not the best variety for this cool
climate, but it usually ripens enough for us, who all like a slightly
sour apple, and I generally pick just before a hard frost.  We
haven't had a hard frost yet, so most of the apples are still on the
tree.

Hi,

Have a question for you regarding sourish apples...

Did you grow up eating store bought varieties (supermarket) or fresh from the orchard?

I only ask in regards to a hypothesis, that a large portion of apple buyers, have their taste buds skewed to less sweet, less ripe, store bought (supermarket) apple flavors.

Just curious...

Later,
Tom

--