nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Juice in MN

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Juice in MN
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:42:14 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Juice in MN
Two questions.  One, what exactly DOES the apple material come in contact with?  Are the innards of the grinder all stainless steel?  Or does the apple go through other metals or substances?  I wouldn't want it to contact aluminum or other toxic metals that might be dissolved by the acids in the apples.
   The other is, with all the comparisons you have done, how about doing an article with pictures for POMONA?
-Lon Rombough

From: Don Yellman

5.  Among the comments that I have received in the past on the disposal
grinder is that it must be "unhygienic".  Well, not really.  You don't
use it for garbage, after all, and cleanup is a snap: Just run the hose
down the throat for a few minutes with the motor running, then squirt it
up from below through the discharge pipe.  I have dismantled my disposal
after a season's use, and found it squeaky clean in the grinding
chamber.  Another is that cutting the apples before inserting them in
the throat slows down the operation.  Well, not by much.  When I was
using the "apple eater" grinder I found that whole apples would just
bridge up or rotate over the grinding drum, and I had to cut them in
half to produce even apple pieces.