nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple questions.

  • From: "Orville Courtney" <agatemn@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple questions.
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:55:47 -0600

Mr. Fackler:

   I really appreciate the information about the Kent and Suntan apples. I do have a question about Suncrisp though.
   I have a Suncrisp (on EMLA 9) that fruited for the first time this year. The taste seemed very bland. There was not enough of anything - sweet, sour, aromatic, or flavor. There also is a local orchard that had Suncrisp (on EMLA 9) for the first time this year, and all of the ones I got from them (and I deliberately got ones from underripe to overripe) were the same. I also could not taste anything that resembled Cox Orange Pippin. Is it possible that it takes a few years to develope more of anything or could the climate, rootstock, or something else be the problem?
   I also had Queen Cox (on EMLA 26) fruit for the first time this year. I missed spraying it, so it was wormy and a little green when I picked it. It was still Wonderful . It has everything that makes a Cox great - the sweet-acid balance, the fantastic flavor, and the aromatics. I would sooner have a slice of the Queen Cox than a bushel of the Suncrisp.
   I definitely am a fan of high flavor balanced apples, so that probably has something to do with my feelings about Suncrisp. Thanks in advance for any info or comments.

Orville Courtney
Topeka, KS
Zone 5B