nafex - [NAFEX] Value of agriculture/corporate farming

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Value of agriculture/corporate farming
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:13:02 +0000

One thing not mentioned in the string so far is the loss of the ag-supporting sector of the economy, as farm numbers reduce and rural areas depopulate. I don't have immediate access to the latest figures on this, but those who tend to suffer winter depression this time of year don't want to know this right now anyway !

Again I'll use the seed testing industry to illustrate : my eyes popped at the earlier quote of 70k income for refinery workers. This to do a job which in the long run is probably doing civilization more harm than good (RHETORICAL STATEMENT-- I know this bit alone could start a whole new string). While someone who works in a seed lab, which, overall, STABILIZES THE FOOD SUPPLY, can dream of making half that much. If, that is, this lab worker has enough college education, years of experience, and enough accreditation level. And it's REAL accrediation, not "just a piece of paper."

No, I would never talk anyone out of learning to grow as much of their own food as possible !

tc

Enjoy the holiday season with great tips from MSN. http://special.msn.com/network/happyholidays.armx

  • [NAFEX] Value of agriculture/corporate farming, tanis cuff, 12/22/2003