nafex - Re: [NAFEX] dehydrator recommendations

  • From: nottke <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] dehydrator recommendations
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:05:04 -0400

Lucky,
After going through a few other brands over the years, we use an American
Harvest forced air dehydrator that has a broad adjustable temperature
range. At garage sales I picked up extra trays and perforated polyethylene
tray inserts, so I use a stack of 10 or 12, which dries well overnight as
long as we keep slice thickness down to about 1/2 inch. 3/4 inch pear or
apple slices are great for making pies in the winter, but take an extra
half day to dry down to the dryness that we prefer.
The perforated polyethylene inserts are particularly good to keep sugary
fruit, such as soft-ripe plums and watermelon, from sticking to the trays.
In fact each insert can be removed in the morning, rolled up into a
cylinder over an open ziploc bag and just tap the dried pieces into the bag.
Several years ago we put out a tray of dried Moon & Stars watermelon pieces
along with veggies and dips and potluck desserts that folks brought to our
Christmas open house. The dried watermelon was the first dish emptied. I
know I will get requests for dried watermelon again this Christmas, but the
2003 bumper crop was plums, so there will be a big platter of dried Santa
Rosa plums, particularly good if lightly misted with water and then rolled
in powdered sugar - the tart/sweet combo really gets the saliva flowing.
Next year I hope to put out dried pawpaw - I dried just a few slices this
year and no one who tasted it could guess what it was.

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC 27040
Hardiness Zone 7A