nafex - Re: [NAFEX] autumn Olive allelopathy?

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] autumn Olive allelopathy?
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:47:17 +0000

Autumn olive is becoming a troublesome invasive exotic in some places. Yes, the blossoms smell great, and the fruit is useful or at least helpful to wildlife. But it can take over !

I wonder whether it is truly allelopathic. It grows fast and forms a thick canopy; I bet it simply robs other plants of water, nutrients, and light. No toxic exudates needed.

tc, s.WI