nafex - [NAFEX] autumn Olive allelopathy

  • From: "Peter Knop" <knop@erols.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] autumn Olive allelopathy
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 12:55:50 -0400

An additional note about autumn olive, is that the flowers are beautifully fragrant.  I used tlo destroy the stuff as a weed until one day I walked by a bush I had missed which was in flower.  I was amazed!  Now we have the fruit as well to add to its bounty.
     I might add trhat I now have a small wood where only Autumn Olive grows.  The plant is allelopathic, more so than walnut, so the ground under it is beautifully clear.   Of course from another point of view, the allelopathic qualities of the plant are just another reason to get rid of it as it helps makes itself just that much more invasive.
         Peter Knop, Volunteer, Clean Earth Foundation