nafex - [NAFEX] Yellowhorn seed germination

  • From: "Chuck Hall" <bobwil@wctatel.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Yellowhorn seed germination
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 05:25:03 -0500

I found the message below which refers to growing Yellowhorn from seed.  I have a friend who has a tree growing in zone 4.  The tree produces lots of seeds every year, but he has been unable to get the seeds to grow.  Can you tell me how to grow Yellowhorn from seed?
Thanks,
Chuck Hall
Lake Mills, Iowa

Ive been growing yellowhorn from seed from a number of different sources.  They germinate easily
& its quite interesting to see the variabilty in nut size & shape.  However in the icy climes of
WI I seriously doubt this would make it in the ground though I heard a rumor that there is one
growing at the McKay Center in the Arboretum in Madison...  They do make lovely container trees.

mIEKAL