nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Liberty

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Liberty
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 06:55:48 -0400

fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:

Source I have read state the apple stores 3-6 months, but one Liberty apple
expert gives it 4-6 weeks. All sources seem to agree it needs a bit of time
off the tree to develop full flavor but neglect to mention how long that
mellowing time should be.

Here in South Central Michigan, Liberty is susceptible to early drop. Large clusters of fruit and short stems are not a good combination.

Four to six weeks is probably a good number if picked moderately ripe (acceptable quality for eating out of hand...but still some detectable starch, mid-to-late Sept) and stored on our semi-enclosed porch on the north side of our house. Please note that mid-September daytime temperatures can hit +70F for extended periods of time.

I believe that 6 months *might* be possible if picked inedible-but-red and stored under Controlled Atmosphere and optimum temperature.

Three months is probably possible in a common refrigerator.

Regarding optimum time. Sort of depends how ripe they are when you pick them, your intended use and what you look for in apple flavor. I like them best after about two weeks of porch time right up until they are punky.

Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanking you in advance for any consideration you give this matter,

that little fluffy guy