nafex - [NAFEX] Coddling moth , apple maggot strategies

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Coddling moth , apple maggot strategies
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:39:19 -0400

John Bunker asked:
Beginning at what date and for how long do you tie your cardboard strips
around the apple tree trunks?
Here's a low-tech trick we tried this year: Instead of attempting to clean
the tanglefoot off our red-ball traps, we bought apples at the grocery store
and smeared the tanglefoot on them. Then composted the apples when they got
too gross. Finally a good use for those Macs and Reds that have been
sitting in CA storage all winter.

My reply:
Good idea for compostable sticky traps. Our apple maggots lack Yankee
discernment, so we merely hang leftover red Christmas tree ornaments with
tanglefoot, and they land on these.

Carboard bands are placed at or soon after fruitset, during May here in Zone
6. We remove them only when all apples gone from that tree, so our late
apples still have cardboard around them and occasionally catch later
generation larvae. One year, one cardboard band became home to wooly apple
aphids, but generally earwigs and/or ants may be the only other inhabitants
than coddling moth larvae.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6, East Tenn
Pawpaw ice cream season