nafex - [NAFEX] PawPaw Seed Germination / Grafting

  • From: Suzi Teghtmeyer <srt175f@smsu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org, isammons@ofheo.gov, mrtejas@lycos.com, goatdoc@ctitech.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] PawPaw Seed Germination / Grafting
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:04:36 -0500

Pawpaw persons,
This is from: Dirr, Michael A. and Charles W. Heuser. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation: From Seed to Tissue Culture. page 94

Assimina triloba, Pawpaw
SEED: Seed (usually 2 to 3, large, dark brown) should be removed from pulpy matrix.  Delayed germination is caused by slowly permeable seedcoats and dormant embryos. Interestingly, seed from a southern source germinated 100% without cold treatment. Three seed lots, each given 2 months cold stratification, germinated 50%, 62%, 82%, respectively. Fall sowing of untreated seed did not improve germination. Fall planted seeds may germinate over a two-year period. Seedlings have a long taproot.

CUTTINGS: No report of stem cuttings being successfully rooted. The authors have observed colonies of pawpaw not unlike those of sumac (Rhus). It would seem that root cuttings might be successful.

GRAFTING: Professor Joseph McDaniel, University of Illinois, was a master grafter/budder and successfully chip-budded (spring-summer) pawpaw cultivars on established trees. Seedling understock would also work.
-----Suzi Teghtmeyer
Librarian, Paul Evans Library of Fruit Science
Southwest Missouri State University Mtn. Grove Campus and Missouri Fruit Experiment Station
9740 Red Spring Rd, Mountain Grove, MO 65711
Phone: 417-926-4105, Fax: 417-926-6646,  email: srt175f@smsu.edu
AgNIC Viticulture site: http://library.smsu.edu/paulevans/viticulture1.shtml
Member: CBHL, USAIN, ALA, ACRL, IAALD