nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Coddling moth , apple maggot strategies

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Coddling moth , apple maggot strategies
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:19:55 -0500

At 01:01 PM 9/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
While I'm writing, there is something local that really looks like elderberry (covered with berries that look like black elderberry berries). I'm reasonably familiar with elderberry and everything about the plants (clumps, leaves, berries) looks right. Is there any chance of it being some other evil/dangerous plant masquerading as elderberry? I remember hearing about "porcelainberry" being mistaken for elderberry (I don't think that they really look similar at all) and got to wondering whether eating the berries that I found would be a mistake.
Only other one around here that I can think of that might remotely be mistaken for elderberry is Aralia spinosa, Devil's walkingstick, but it's thorny enough that I wouldn't think one would make that mistake but once.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY