nafex - [NAFEX] Coddling moth , apple maggot strategies

  • From: Stefan Brandle <sbrandle@css.tayloru.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Coddling moth , apple maggot strategies
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:01:55 -0500

Another solution to the sticky issue of tanglefoot-ed traps is to cover the ball with a plastic sandwich bag and tie it on with a twist-tie. At the end of the season, just untie and drop bag into garbage. The actual ball gets a tiny bit sticky, but not bad at all.

On a related topic, I bought a bunch of styrofoam balls at a craft shop, painted them bright red, coated and hung them. The insects appear to like them just as well as the substantially more expensive balls that you can buy.

While I'm writing, there is something local that really looks like elderberry (covered with berries that look like black elderberry berries). I'm reasonably familiar with elderberry and everything about the plants (clumps, leaves, berries) looks right. Is there any chance of it being some other evil/dangerous plant masquerading as elderberry? I remember hearing about "porcelainberry" being mistaken for elderberry (I don't think that they really look similar at all) and got to wondering whether eating the berries that I found would be a mistake.

Stefan Brandle, Ph.D., Taylor University Computer Science
sbrandle@css.tayloru.edu, Telephone: 765-998-4685 FAX: 765-998-4940
http://www.css.tayloru.edu/~sbrandle