nafex - RE: [NAFEX] zone 3 honeycrisp

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] zone 3 honeycrisp
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:28:36 -0400

Greetings, Helen, Doreen and others.

Honeycrisp is sensative to a combo of the following.

1. Most all species of leafhoppers (and there are many aside from WAL) love
Honeycrisp above other varieties.
2. Based on preliminary observations, it also is a heavy user of K when
carrying a crop load and I think some of the typical leaf disorders are
associated with this need (and possibly Ca. and N.).
3. Honeycrisp/MM111 as grown on marginally fertile clay/loams (weak area of
the farm) in So. Indiana also exhibited these symptoms when in production.
4. Honeycrisp can be severely biannual if overcropped, even a little.
5. In more southern regions (zone 6 southward) flavor is bland/sweet, but
still has great texture and has little color.

That is about it on experiences with this great eating apple.

ed, southern Ohio, pleasant fall-like.......