nafex - Re: [NAFEX] zone 3 honeycrisp

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] zone 3 honeycrisp
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 06:11:48 -0500

Del,

I agree about Trailmans. They're similar to Centennial, but later, and they
appear to hold their crispness longer.

My Honeycrisps always have a distinctive mottled yellow to the newest
growth. That's how I can tell that I have the right tree. I find that if I
include calcium chloride and chelated trace elements in the sprays that the
leaf appearance improves and I get less or no bitter pit on the fruits. The
only problem is that I don't generally spray after the primary scab season
ends in mid June. If I'm not too lazy I'll spray the Honeycrisps several
more times with just the above (and maybe a little soluble fertilizer) over
the course of the summer.

I have Honeycrisp on M7 and on Bud 118 and the both show similar mottling on
the new growth. If your soils are acid and lacking in calcium you might try
sprinkling a little dolomite around the trees in addition to calcium sprays.
If your soil is nearer to neutral, then try a little gypsum.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3