nafex - Re: [NAFEX] zone 3 honeycrisp

  • From: breen@fedcoseeds.com
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] zone 3 honeycrisp
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:12:35 -0500

A comment on Honeycrisp: while in massachusetts on friday, a few major
orchards have experienced major watercore this year with honeycrisp, to the
point where they are not even worth picking...many factors i'm sure are
involved, plenty might have to do with three years of tree stress from
drought, but a heads up. a friend thought this watercore was because mass is
too warm for honeycrisp...any thoughts on that? how many other potential
problems have folks experienced/heard of? is this apple a dud possibly,
commercially? not trying to incriminate, just trying to find out if this is
just an off year, or is there a reason to raise concern with orchardists.
heron breen
maine, zone 4b