nafex - [NAFEX] Honeycrisps

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honeycrisps
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:12:34 -0500

After reading Helene's comments on how well her Honeycrisps grafted on M111
rootstock have done, I have some questions. Previously, others have
commented on the leaf diseases associated with the variety. That made me a
bit wary as I try to decide which apples to plant at my new home. Also,
yesterday, I visited the local farmers market where the orchards have
started bringing apples to market. They had Ginger Gold first and yesterday
the first Honeycrisps. The orchard owner said that Honeycrisps are "a bitch
to grow," to quote him, due to leaf diseases and weight. He said that
large, heavy fruit weighs down boughs and creates problems. Also, he said
they are shy bearers in many years.

My questions are: does the M111 rootstock make a difference with leaf
diseases, and are the weight problem and shy bearing due to poor cultural
techniques on the part of the orchard grower locally or are they epidemic to
Honeycrisp?

As much as I love the taste of Honeycrisp, I'm leaning towards Ed Fackler's
recommendation of Pixie Crunch. Or can I grow both?
Doreen Howard
No. IL--Zone 5a

  • [NAFEX] Honeycrisps, Doreen Howard, 09/05/2003